01376 573877 info@gdasc.co.uk

listed building

Need to know how to get Listed Building Consent?

Wondering what the difference between Grade I Listed and Grade II Listed is?

We have been asked many questions surrounding listed buildings and the paths that need to be taken when improving, extending or even working on listed properties. Hopefully we have answered any queries you may have, but if you need further information, please do call us on 01376 573877 or email us and we’d be happy to help.

1, Is my Historic Building Listed

If you have a Historic or a Building of Architectural interest, this may be listed or alternatively you may have been told it is listed. This means that it is a building or structure which has been judged to be of special importance and is included on a register; The List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.

Generally speaking a listed building will be in the following categories;

All Buildings built before 1700 which have some of their original structure or features.

Most Buildings built between 1700 and 1840, although there will be some interpretation required

Buildings with a definite quality and character, including the major works of principle architects between 1840 and 1939.

Outstanding or architecturally interesting buildings which may form an example of an architectural genre, at least ten years old but usually more than 30 years old.

2, What is Listed Building Consent

It is a form of Planning Control; its objective is to preserve historic buildings and to ensure that the building is preserved within its original form, with features and materials that would have been used at the time of its construction. It is to preserve historic buildings but not necessarily to fossilise them.

Different areas may be listed, it could be the exterior or the interior or both, it could be items within the curtilage; it is common for railings to be listed sometimes when the building is not. This detail of the listing will be in the List description – a report that identifies a building by giving a history of the structure and a description of the historical features and character of the building.

Listed building consent due to its objectives sits slightly outside other planning considerations such as Local Development Plans.

Grades of Listing are;

Grade I – Buildings of exceptional interest

Grade II* – Particularly important and with more than a special interest

Grade II – Buildings of special interest, warranting every effort being made to preserve them.

listed consent cartoon



3, What if I want my Historic Building Listed

Anyone can apply to have a Building listed and conversely if you don’t want your Building Listed you can apply for a certificate of immunity to provide immunity from listing, for a time period if you were carrying out works.



4, Will I also need Planning Permission

It depends on the works undertaken, for example if you were intending to extend a listed property you would need Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent. If you were replacing the windows and the exterior was listed you would need Listed Building Consent but not Planning Permission. You may also need Listed Building Consent for garden walls or fences. If Planning Permission is required the two applications should be submitted together.

Permitted development rights would not apply to listed buildings or within Conservation Areas.

5, Can I do repairs without Listed Building Consent

Generally replacement of roofing tiles, repairs to walls or renders will not require Listed Building Consent, where carried out using the same techniques and materials as the original. However there are some grey areas which will need to be discussed with the conservation officer. If you wished to render areas of a brick building which were previously not rendered you would require Listed Building Consent. You can obtain a certificate of lawful works to ensure that the repairs are acceptable – this may be prudent for large periodic repairs such as re‐roofing.

6, Do I need Building Regulations Approval

All construction work needs to comply with the Building Regulations, therefore the short answer is yes, however it would not be acceptable to start insulating a Georgian terrace as you would a new house and this would be exempt from this part of the Building Regulations. A ramp to the front of a Listed Building would also not be acceptable, it is in these areas where some creative thinking is required and this is usually between the Client, Surveyor, Building Control and the Conservation Officer to find an acceptable compromise which is allowed by Law.

7, How do I contact a Conservation Officer

Conservation Officers are retained by your Local authority and will be involved with your application. Generally they are hard pressed with a large workload but early engagement with them is essential to ensure a smooth and successful process. It would also be best to engage a surveyor early on to draw up plans and list suitable materials, to ensure that any consultation with the conservation officer is used efficiently.

The conservation officer may also visit the works and agree the materials and methods, therefore it is good practice to build a good working relationship. The Conservation Officer can also advise if there are grants available for restoration works.

8, What to do next Free Consultation

If your project requires listed building consent we would advise you to contact a Surveyor or consultant to assist you with your plans and the application. You can follow the Planning route set out on our Planning Approvals  page, but also apply for Listed Building Consent.

This is a brief overview of the process, English Heritage can provide more detailed guidance.

Material from this and other sources have been abridged to help form this guide.

We would love to get involved with more historic building refurbishments and help you to achieve a successful project. Please contact us if you have any further queries or would like additional advice.

Senior Surveyor Janice Gooch MSc CHE ACIfA

Janice brings a wealth of experience to our company and an in depth knowledge of historical and conservation matters.

Janice’s heritage work has been as diverse as writing Heritage Statements for buildings from the Isle of Wight to Nantwich, surveying listed buildings, and regeneration of disused buildings etc.

In her spare time, Janice is the coordinator for the Technical panel of the IHBC and secretary for the Heritage and Craft Committee of the Society for Nautical Research.

To see more information on Janice’s experience, click here. To arrange a chat or visit with Janice, call us on 01376 573877, or click here to send an email.


Call Now